Rostov-on-Don is an administrative center of the Rostov region; it’s also the center of Southern federal district. The city is located on banks of Don River, 1067 km to the south of the capital.
With a little more than one million citizens, Rostov-on-Don is the tenth most populous city in the country. Rostov today is the largest cultural, scientific and educational and industrial center of the country and the most important transport knot of the South of Russia.
A customs was founded at the order of Elizabeth I on Don River, near Temernik (right confluent of Don) in 1749. The customs was named Temernitskaya, by name of the river (Temernik). Fortress was raised here in 1760, which get the status of the city in 1807.
The Bolshaya Sadovaya Street is the towngate of Rostov-on-Don. It’s one of the oldest as well as the longest street of the city. The Staro-Pokrovsky temple, philharmonic hall, movie theaters, palace of culture, a large number of architectural monuments, as well as parks and squares are located on Bolshaya Sadovaya Street.
Rostov-on-Don has 482 monuments of architecture. One of them is Rostov Iversky convent. The conventual temple was built in 1908 by order of merchant S. Fedorov. The monastery was closed in 1929 and returned to believers only in 1991. More than thirty sisters live now in it. The monastery attracts today a large number of pilgrims both from the next centers of population, and from all Russian Federation.
Rostov Cathedral of the Nativity of the Most Holy Mother of God built in 1860 is undoubtedly of great interest. A 75-meter four-level belltower has been raised nearby. The temple was closed in 1932, indoors a warehouse has been placed. Nevertheless in the forties, thanks to religious citizens, the cathedral was returned to believers. This is a stone-built temple with snow-white walls and gilded domes.
One of the most beautiful houses of Rostov-on-Don is a building of City Council, which is located on Bolshaya Sadovaya Street, 47. This is an architectural monument of the end of the 19th century built in 1899 upon the project of Alexander Pomerantsev. The house was overhauled after war destructions in 1953. The building is richly decorated that’s why some artists call its cake.
The Rostov regional museum of local lore will be interesting to fans of history. The museum was founded in 1910 and is included into the Union of Museums of Russia. Natural wealth, history and culture of the region are presented here. The museum possess more then 365 000 items. The found of museum includes natural-science, ethnographic, numismatical, weapon and other collections.
Supporters of cultural diversions are free to visit the Academic drama theater named after M. Gorky. It was established in 1863. Its building, resembling superficially a tractor, was overhauled after war in 1963. The theater’s building is the bright representative of style of constructivism. Its miniature is exhibited at the Museum of history of architecture in London.
Favourite sight for tourists is the city Embankment named after Feodor Ushakov. This is the most beautiful part of the city. The embankment is framed by cast-iron fencings, decorated by green lawns. Many monuments devoted to famous people as well as some sculptures are situated on the embankment. Also the city Embankment is the venue of all folk festivals.