Bataysk, the satellite town of Rostov-on-Don, is located in the Rostov region.
In the 18th century, after the Russian-Turkish war, the territory belonging to modern Bataysk became a part of the Russian Empire. In 1769, this territory started becoming populated; the Bataysk village was founded.
In 1856, Bataysk became the center of the volost of the same name, and in 1875 the Bataysk station of the Vladikavkaz railroad opened.
In 20’s of the 20th century the Bataysk district was formed with an administration centre in Bataysk. In 1938, this district was abolished; Bataysk has got the status of the city of regional subordination.
Today Bataysk is a large railway junction and the sorting center of railway freights. There is even a monument to a steam train opposite to the building of the railway station placed here in memory of revolutionary, fighting and labor feats of Bataysk railroad workers.